Monday, December 8, 2008

Nobody there, again?

(pinup poster deleted)
Followers: 0
Now that just so encouraging, isn't it? They couldn't have included yourself, and made that 1? Zero, nice!

While I was running 3 websites at once, there was always something to say. Being dyslexic, my writing skills aren't the greatest ever. (Yeah, like you never noticed) And sometimes, there are critical and annoying words totally left out, to my embarrassment. So at times this annoying habit would even reverse the meaning of what I was conveying. So, in an effort to improve my writing, I started making a point of writing a full article everyday. Now, that I'm unplugged (see hacker story), I'm feeling like a fish out of water.

Every Christmas or so it seems, the girls come knocking on my Yahoo account. Inviting me to buddy up with them on Yahoo 360. Why would a twenty something want anything to do with a fat guy over 40? Maybe it's the fact that I was born yesterday, I don't know? And they always have the cutest little picture of themselves, and no blog page at all? Very strange!

So, I stopped by my 360 account, and was very much surprised that it was still there. Which showed me all the people I was trying to buddy up with once upon a time, thinking that some social networking might be good for me too, that never developed. So, I went to some those blogs, and not one had been updated in two years! Not a one! Which tells me exactly what you remember, is actually true: You see 360 there on the menu and you go, what is that? You click on it, and it has you sign up for a blog space, and a social network. You pick a theme, and start an article about yourself. And nobody on earth ever finds you but for service girls(?)! I would say that 360 is a total failure.

See, WAY WAY BACK IN THE DAY, I had a Geocities account, before Yahoo bought and wrecked them. And there the communal idea, actually worked. You picked a spot like real estate to park your webpage in. It had an address on a block, in a themed neighborhood. Really cool loose organizational structure. There was Area 51 where all sci-fi's hanged out, and Soho, for the artcy fartcies, etc. And in that mess, I actually met people. Nice people, with no axe to grind, helpful and friendly, just a whole lot of fun. Then they added these block managers to try and encuourage people to develop their website even more, and work bugs out. It was everything you expected a social network to be, because people were able to find eachother almost at random, by exploring, not so much by search-engine keywords. Then Yahoo came a long, and totally messed it all up.

So here I am, starting another blog, with no way to ever be found. Great, with followers of zero! Which I'll feed just for my need to write something to nobody. It's what I do best...

No comments:

Post a Comment