Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Naming the Rover

The Rover happens to be my favorite Led Zeppelin song, but I'm clearly showing my age as I wonder off subject, in the very first sentence too- that just happens at this age!

This about young 12 year old Clara Ma, who won the contest to name the next Mars Rover. She wrote her essay on Curiosity, which is her name for the new rover. I've very jealous, because I had a great name picked out, if only I had know about the contest! My name would have been "Robo Plop". But once she won the contest, I hope there aren't any kittens between the hanger and the lanch pad, because we know about Curiosity, now don't we? I'll be keeping an eye on you, Curiosity!

Have you seen the size of this thing? It's gigantic, it's like we're done sending Tonka trucks, now we're sending a Hummer, to create traffic congestion and smog! The pictures don't give you a clue how tall this thing is. The girl only stands slightly taller than the body of this monster, which I hear is about 7 feet tall. It has a laser eye, that can vaporize rocks- like something out of an Elton John song?

You know we finally gotten on the wrong side of the curve, when the names change from "Enterprise", "Discovery", and "Intrepid", to "Dowl", "Welfare Mom", "Slacker", "AIG" or "GM". With dumb down robots, covered in graffiti, that can barely do one job. So, good luck "Curiosity"- I can't wait to see the new pictures!

Clara not only gets to name the rover, but the rover will carry her name on it's belly, to a far away place where it will be a memorial to her forever- now how cool is that? Clara Ma's Curiosity will always be a part of the litter on Mars- that is if we can afford to ever launch that thing now? Just kidding, Clara! Although, I'm explaining sarcasm to a twelve year old girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment