Monday, May 18, 2009

Why can't you type?

I learned to be a fan of email, long ago- longer than many of you have been alive!
There are two kinds of power found in written words.
1) Personal Grandeur; You get to talk at someone, instead of having a real conversation.
2) Convenience; It is sent / read at your leisure. Unlike a phone call, that require your attention now, and right now.

First thing, that I don't hide that I'm dyslexic. I make mistakes- ooo, I'm such a fuckup, the whole universe will fall into the sun- Yeah, right! Grow thick skin, is the only advice I can give there. Being a dyslexic isn't an excuse not to communicate with written words. My point is, that I answer all email. Someday, I thrash and trash it, when my brain is malfunctioning, but I do it! Most other dyslexics that I've dealt with, function by giving as short an answer as they can by email- and that's fine. As long as they answer something, you know you have them engaged.

The trouble today is people not answering at all. There are issues sometimes about culpability, that can get in the way, which you must be careful of what you do say. But normally; "Yes/No/Let me get back to you" - are completely acceptable answers. Not answering at all is rude, even more rude than; No!

Any number of times, I've used auto-responders to warn people that I'm spending more time away from the computer, and it might be a while before I can answer- BUT I DO ANSWER EVERYTHING! Like it's a game to have the very last word. Meanwhile, I want you to know, it didn't fall into a blackhole even if the answer is going to be delayed.

What really concerns me here is that businesses today understand that the Internet is an expansion of their catalog of services. They have embraced the concept, in order to get their product to larger masses. But they aren't Tech Savvy, so they PHONE is still king with them. ie. They don't TYPE! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! They communicate with you, you HAVE TO ANSWER IN KIND!

Phone is easy, BFD, it's also expensive! Phone are for time sensitive issues- waiting days or weeks for delivery is not a critical issue. You know damn well, that 90% of all customer issues are not going to be resolved in 5 seconds, with a coo into a phone.

It's tit for tat! Communicate people- and we'll all get along better! Even if your dyslexic, like me!

One thing I can tell you, is that you don't get better at something, unless you MAKE TIME to do it. Why do you think I do this? Do you think that I'm so arrogant that I think the sun shines just for me? Not hardly. I express myself, to improve myself to my biggest weakness. It's that simple. I screw up often- I try to fix them all, where and when I see them. Mostly, I'm aware that I'm talking to myself here. BFD! This is actually about self improvement, and hopefully, maybe you learn something new too?

I'm really having a hard time understanding Twitter, when we have a nation that doesn't communicate, at all? This morning I watching CNN, and wondering why these people are wasting so much bandwidth on videos of things they should be writing/blogging. Video's on Twitter, is like even worse than Twitter itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment