Monday, April 13, 2009

I shouldn't do this, but...

image of the day

I just found it awfully funny and ironic, that Nixon gave metals to spacemen in their sneakers!
Thank you NASA, for giving me the laugh of the day.
For you kids, let me explain, this is not a fashion statement, it's a pun!

Many of you, may only be aware of the Apollo XIII from Tom Hanks movies and TV. But for us that lived through it, it was frightening and horrible setback in the space race. I was like 9 or 10 years old, and it was the talk of school. We were kind of bracing ourselves for the worsted, and it's a feeling that I will never actually forget. Every day for four days, you wondered and prayed that it wouldn't get worse, as you turned on the morning news. And we were all greatly relieved by the successful outcome, which this scene depicts. Back in that day, astronauts were quarantined after a space mission. I guess, to keep them from bring back Space Pox or something? During that time, Nixon flew out to shake their hands, and present them with metals- I'm sure they would have rather had a successful mission. But getting a metal from the President is pretty good stuff too! I don't think the real heroes back in Houston, got more than a pat on the back- I don't remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment