Thursday, January 22, 2009

A new day

It is no secret that I supported Barack Obama, all through this election season (18 months). Some might be surprised to find out, that he didn't start out being my man. I became somewhat familiar with him from his keynote address, at the Kerry convention. And while I could see him as a rising star in the party, I felt that he was still too green, to be taken seriously. And his address was no Mario! (Old democrats know what I'm talking about).

The man I wanted, just like most of the men I wanted down through the years, dropped out early. This last round being Joe Biden. But frankly, those early debates, Joe was just getting too goofy, trying to put forward a light hearted spirit of charisma. Add a two step and he and Richards could have taken the act on the road. So my focus shifted to the front runners, Hillary and Barack, and it was a very hard choice. But inside, there was something magic about Barack, but I didn't want to be fooled by cool, particularly early! But as they spoke, I was giving more amens to the speeches of dude, than the dudette. And even for a while, I wonder if it wasn't some secret chauvinist in me?

Besides, I know Clintons, and kind of what to expect from another 4 years of them. I did well under Bill, but this is not a personal reflection, but this was about the future. And how I in vision that future being shaped, here forward. And from retrospect of their mistakes, still kind of haunts me.

I was quite unhappy that the California Primary election was moved up. Many were afraid that we had lost any voice in who got to run in the big race. And my worsted fears, came about, they took the forgone conclusion. This State on my side of the aisle, went with Hillary. But I voted my mind, and beliefs in Barack, not that it mattered. This is why I didn't like voting so early in the year. Most did not vote their convictions, they voted for who they thought would win, hands down just by name. It was exciting all the way into June, but we were done in February!

Meanwhile, I would tease my conservatives, that they hadn't the guts to vote for the {N word}. Just to really rub it in, about their dilemma. This was another reason I favored Barack over Hillary early. I knew there were too many eggshells for Republicans to tread on, unlike their plans of going after the bitch, which they knew they'd be running against, and were ready for! NOW Hold that judgement of me, those who know me well, know I'm not that kind of bigot, at all- and I really Hillary! I did it teasing, on this election cycle because the opposition's back was against the wall, and while THEY would have LOVED TO do the same, they didn't dare be that politically incorrect. However, myself as an ardent supporter, I had the liberty to try and crack their shells, by stating their secret views. Which it's just my nature to find hilarious! So I owe the whole Obama family an huge apology. My taunts were uncalled for, and to outsiders might have been taken very, very wrong. It was a razz for wrong minded people, is all.

As a Liberal (even though I'm not sure what that means, but they all assure me, I am one), I'm just not at all use to being on the popular side of politics! As it was said on Rachel Maddow's show; "If you, with one week away from the election, and with double digits leads in the polls, still think there is some way for the Democrats to totally screw this up- Congratulations, you are truly a Democrat!" Or something along those lines. And it was TRUE, it was our deepest fear, because we are not use to anybody agreeing with us on even tiny, much less huge issues!

When Barack won the election, even I cried. Not because he was black, 'livin the dream'. I cried because I knew, we got it right! This time, we got it RIGHT! This man is the real deal! The man we can trust. And best of all, he can manage things. Then, when I saw Germany, my jaw dropped. When I saw Denver, my jaw dropped! When I saw that park in Chicago, I cried with Jesse Jackson, in awe. When I saw the Mall (the swearing in) a few days ago- ho hum, Obama must be speaking in public again? Two million people with nothing better to do on a Tuesday.

So, am I beaming with optimism, now that my guy won? Back to earlier story; Hell no! It's in our nature to be afraid of failure, even in the very last minute. But here is a man that genuinely believes in the rule of law, over paranoia and spin. That will lead the way back toward righteousness, through consistency. Our stature in the world has vastly improved overnight, and it's not misplaced optimism.

There are still people out there very afraid, and even very angry! I can assure them all, that it's not going to be a bad ride. But, that only fuels their hatred even more. It is hard to believe that anyone would want things to get any worse, but there are a few...

It was a dream to me, the Obama Biden ticket. And in spite of Joe's rambling repeats; My Friends! SOB, WE WON?!! Congratulation, you won a chance to loose/invent $2 trillion dollars in stimulus, and two extended wars, the real possibility of a third and maybe even forth? Super high unemployment. Wow, that's a prize isn't it? What did the looser get for playing?

"Brace yourselves!" Thank you, Sully; I think that might make a good theme for a few years, even yet!

One final note on my pet peeves; It's Obama, not O'Biden! Just call him Joe, would ja?

No comments:

Post a Comment