Friday, January 9, 2009

Paid Hosting or Free Blogging

As you can see, I'm making myself to home here. We're already up to our ears in advertisements (click me, click me), and pinup girls. And there's no place I enjoy a good pinup more than at my ears. (I'm not sure what that means, but it sounded funny).

There are some big differences between what you can and can not do here in a free Blog, vs. having a paid hosting account. Like giving up all of your ability to code in anything other than HTML, for example. However, FREE blog, has lots of FREE GOODIES, that you don't get with a hosting account.

(No fish can sold here?)

Nerd 101 does require the NASA picture of the day, and a Sudoku puzzle. This is turning out to be a lot like my iGoogle home page, only public!

I thought This day in History would be neat, but I'm not caring for articles about Joan Of Arc at all. English bloodlines, I'm not a fan of crazy women, not at all. And mental health care, hasn't improved much either, thanks to the stigma. Thankfully, that should be gone by midnight- I hope!!!

(No birthday cakes!)

Speaking of time. The clocks were not picked at random. Iraq and Afghanistan were added because I do tend to be popular with our armed forces (thank you much, boys). I can't imagine being so bored that you want to read me, but there you go- I know it's all about the pinups not the pinhead! Arizona is on the list, because those antisocial cowboys, have no need for Ben Franklyn or his silly daylight saving time. So it's there to help me remember when they are in and out of our timezone here in California. UTC/GMT there just cause it's the right way to tell time! And New York, because that's the timezone of most of the population. What, I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

So far, I'm kind of liking this free thing. It could really help make this writing thing, MUCH MORE profitable, unlike the $100 a year hole I've been putting my money into. Yeah, it's fun to be free of any rules, and to have more control. But, how do you beat free? Particularly, if I can do many of the same things, anyway. Like sell cake, and give advice about wine.


(not allowed to tell you ad firms, or sell you wine)


The important thing that you have to know, to be successful at this, is know HTML/CSS. If you really want to take the things over, and make your own theme, some knowledge of XML/XSL is helpful too. But learning CSS2 is about your most useful knowledge base, here at Blogspot.

One of the things, I'm most going to miss from paid hosting, are the stats. There is a bunch of information captured about you when you visit a website, particularly if you got there from a search engine. And it's extremely interesting to see what keywords people used to find you. And there's nothing like that here- pity!


Normally, everybody moves the opposite direction. From Free to Paid Hosting. I guess I'm just a trouble maker to the very end?


No comments:

Post a Comment